Senior Manager, External Reporting
Senior Manager, External Reporting
Vericel, a leader in advanced therapies for the sports medicine and severe burn care markets, has an exciting new opportunity for a high performing Finance and Accounting professional looking to join and contribute to a high growth Biotech/Medtech company with multiple Cell Therapy products on the market as well as a strong balance sheet. Reporting directly into the Assistant Controller at Vericel, this individual will also have direct exposure to the CFO and Corporate Controller as part of the Finance leadership team at Vericel. This is a great opportunity to join an exciting and fast growing $2 Billion+ market cap life sciences company with a strong institutional shareholder base.
The Senior Manager, External Reporting will be responsible for leading the SEC reporting and oversee various technical accounting areas such as stock-based compensation, leases and investments. This individual will work closely with the Assistant Controller and Corporate Controller to ensure all SEC filings are filed accurately and timely. In this highly visible role, the Senior Manager, External Reporting will work cross-functionally with leaders across the company to support, maintain and enhance our SEC reporting and support the business by providing technical accounting guidance on various initiatives. Additionally, the Senior Manager, External Reporting will partner with the Assistant Controller, Controller and other leaders on strategic projects, including evaluating potential business development and other potential strategic and financing transactions and concluding on the technical accounting implications.
- Manage and execute the SEC filings including the 10-K, 10-Q’s and support the annual Proxy
- Collaborate with IR and Legal on various SEC reporting matters
- Participate in quarterly earnings process, including review of earnings release and earnings call script and presentations
- Oversee the preparation of the consolidation including the preparation of the balance sheet, income statement and cash flow statements
- Manage lease accounting activities
- Oversee stock-based compensation expense and accounting around stock options, RSUs and other equity related matters
- Oversee any investment accounting activities
- Work closely with external auditors to drive timely accounting conclusions and disclosures. Act as a primary point of contact throughout the audit process for external/internal auditors and consultants on technical matters and financial reporting
- Drive continuous process improvement in both the Finance/Accounting teams as well as in external reporting process
- Research application of accounting standards, determine potential effects to Vericel of new accounting standards and effectively communicate the impact to stakeholders throughout the company, including Senior Management
- Research various technical accounting matters, conclude on the proper U.S. GAAP treatment, document technical accounting memos and present to Senior Management and/or external auditors as needed.
- Develop, document and maintain accounting policies, including updating or developing new policies to ensure consistency and compliance with GAAP and other reporting requirements; Provide ongoing training of Company’s accounting policies
- Recommend and assist in the implementation of process improvements including automation within the ERP and other tools where possible, to simplify, standardize and streamline processes
- Manage, train and develop team members
- Ad hoc projects as needed
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Leadership qualifications include, among other requirements:
- Understanding, observing, and adhering to the goals and policies outlined in Vericel’s Code of Business Conduct and Ethics
- Being honest and treating people with respect and courtesy.
- Constantly striving to make Vericel a great place to work, and a company respected for the quality of its people and products.
- Serving as role models for our fellow employees and business partners by acting responsibly, fairly, and honestly in our dealings and exercising sound judgment in performing our jobs.
- 7+ years of experience; CPA required
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting required; master’s degree in accounting preferred
- Big 4 or large regional accounting firm experience
- 3+ years Public company experience
- Life sciences/Biotech/Medtech experience preferred
- Expertise and experience in U.S. GAAP, ASC 606 and 842 and SOX
- Experience with Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience with financial reporting tools such as Workiva and Adaptive Insights
- Strategic mindset with ability to manage multiple deliverables and projects
- Willingness to be into the details
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or protected veteran status and will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Vericel Corporation is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Vericel Corporation is VEVRAA federal contractor and desires priority referrals of protected veterans for job openings at all locations within the state.